20 College Research Paper Topics for Students Who Have a Right to Choose!
A research paper is a long and complex academic project, which takes hours to complete. Unlike a regular high school essay, a college research paper requires taking much more steps. The first image which comes to the mind of an average student is dealing with articles, books, websites, and other sources of information. In case of a research paper, an investigation matters even more than the process of writing. It does not mean that an effective research can replace a quality writing. The student should reflect his findings on the paper anyway.
On the whole, the process of writing a research paper involves the following stages:
- In-depth research (primary is a must while secondary is optional)
- Selection of topics
- Analysis of the collected sources
- Preparing an outline
- Working on the first draft
- Working on the second draft
- Developing the final paper
Step-by-Step Instruction on Choosing the Right Subject
So, the first step is not to choose the topic, but to conduct research. Why? Well, if your teacher does not assign you a specific topic, it means the students can choose some problems to observe on their own. It is not a good idea to select a topic without having enough information. Thus, make sure that there are many related, UP-TO-DATE, and credible sources related to the subject of your interest. The topic must be relevant. It means that the chosen subject should relate to the specific field of studies.
Having a right to pick the topic on your own is a huge advantage as the student may pick something he is expert in. It makes no sense to choose unfamiliar topics. Once you’re done, talk to your instructor to approve the choice. Finally, it is important to think about the way to present a topic in the introduction. The best way is to have your topic as a debatable question.
To sum up, the process of choosing a research paper topic consists of three actions:
Another thing closely related to the process of topic selection is the research itself. Before you decide on the final problem to cover, it is important to spend some time in the college library or in front of your PC to collect the relevant sources. They should not be older than 5 years old. At least, most of the modern teachers insist on that. The student will have to find, choose, and read the sources carefully. Do not forget to highlight the most important parts and possible in-text citations taken from the:
- Scholar articles
Turn to the library catalog, periodical indexes, literature reviews, or instructor’s recommendations (see recommended literature in your requirements) to have an idea where to look for. Choose your own system for taking notes, but make sure to cite the sources according to the mentioned writing style (APA, Chicago, AMA, etc.)
20 Outstanding Ideas for College Research Paper
Here is the list of college research paper topics to assist the students with choosing the problems to discuss and analyze.
- Reverse discrimination
- No financial support vs. fairness to couples who pay two times for higher education
- The progress of disabled children in mixed classes vs. separate schools for disabled students
- The National Organization for Women: Its Mission and Basic Achievements
- Placement by gender or placement by intelligence
- The benefits of plastic bags
- Orthodox and Catholics: The difference between the branches of Christianity
- Food supplements effect on the health of an average American man
- The impact of steroids on the health condition of young athletes
- The factors in the China-Tibet conflict
- The current outcomes of the New Deal
- The role of Civil Rights Movement in the life of Afro-Americans
- The complex psychology of a modern teenager
- The influence of homeless living on the growing person
- Things that cause depression
- What is the impact of the immigrants from Mexico on the quality of the US citizens life?
- How communication with the specific virus medium can damage the condition of the healthy person
- Why most of the children growing in poverty choose the criminal way of life?
- Why most of the popular rock stars die young?
- The outcomes of spending one year in asylum
As you can see, there are many interesting categories to pick the idea from. A good essay always starts with the properly chosen problem to discuss.