Research Paper Topic Ideas: What Should You Know First?
“Unemployment statistics in the US point to the dramatic tendencies: more than 60% of employees are dissatisfied with their current jobs and wish to quit. It means that the level of unemployment caused by the employee’s personal decision adds up to the overall country’s unemployment significantly.”
It’s just a good introduction or the research paper. Unlike the argumentative or persuasive essay, the student does not have to defend any points and insist on his/her position. Moreover, the writer does not even have to claim whether the main statement is dogma or not. First of all, the student has to identify the research problem and then state the hypothesis. After that, an experiment will show whether the hypothesis is true, false, or there is not enough information to work on that topic.
Be ready that your skills gained at school won’t be enough. A college is a completely new level. Except for the writing abilities, it is important to train the reading and comprehension, analytical skills, and, of course, research. The knowledge of the studied course also matters.
Why Does the Freedom of Choice Matter in Academic Writing?
Those students who do not value the freedom of choice are missing the main point. Once your instructor assigns a particular topic, there is no way out! The student should write on the given topic no matter how good or bad he is in the area of study. However, if you have an opportunity to select a topic, there is a chance to overcome at least half of the problems by choosing the issue you know somehow. Leave the rest of the job to the research process.
If you don’t know anything from the selected topic, research becomes an integral part of the preparation process. You will need to focus on collecting and evaluating the primary sources first. Remember that they should be no more than 5 years old. Also, these sources should be relevant and related to your field of study. Finally, check their credibility. The primary sources include:
- Scientific magazines
- Academic journals
- Official reports
Keep in mind that picking the problem to discuss predetermines half of your success. The rest of the achievement depends on the quality of content and formatting.
How to Collect Secondary Data?
Sometimes, it may take the equal amount of time to pick the topic and collect the primary sources. As for the secondary sources, the student will have to waste even more time. Such sources involve working with questionnaires, surveys, polls, and interviews.
It means that a student will have to conduct interview with the sample of the population to gather statistics from zero. It is better when there is some information with specific facts and numbers already available on the web or in your college library. However, professional researchers choose the topics that lack information to offer their own experiments and findings. It is rather difficult but fun.
Mind the sources every research writer should avoid. It is not a good idea to use open-source encyclopedias. Everyone can edit Wikipedia, so the teachers do not treat it as the official, credible source. However, the students can use the official dictionaries. It is all the matter of how good you reference various types of sources. If you hesitate, there are many online writing services and citation generators to help with your project.
Tips & Tricks on Selecting the Research Problem
Here are several golden rules shared by the experts – recall them when selecting the research paper topic ideas.
- Make sure there is enough information available on the chosen problem
- Check the similar studies of other competent authors
- Assume the competence and relevance of the selected topic
- Does the topic have a potential development?
- How relevant is the chosen topic to your society?
- Ask the instructor whether he/she is okay with what you’ve chosen
10 Engaging Research Paper Ideas That Can Bring You an A
Now, it is time to have a look at the top recommended topic ideas.
- Veganism: Future of masses or not?
- Littering can be achieved through recycling.
- The most effective ways to punish naughty students.
- Reasons why people should focus on green power.
- Remote education can effectively replace the traditional learning.
- Things that prove the usefulness of Pokemon Go in spreading GPS opportunities.
- The United States cannot be called a truly democracy by now.
- There is no use of studying Gender Studies in college.
- The quantify of air travel proves that it is the safest type of transport in the world.
- Using phones in public places has led to many adverse consequences. That is why they should limit phone usage.
These topics could bring you the expected result – just don’t forget about the importance of research and content itself!